A man has been charged with posting offensive posts on social media after a woman reported he had posted a video of him “making racist comments” on Facebook.
The woman told the court that on July 26, a man from Sydney posted a “racial slur” on her Facebook wall and “disrespected” her and posted a photo of a man with a shaved head.
Police allege that after the woman complained to Facebook about the post, the man responded by saying, “If you don’t like it, don’t share it, that’s not right”.
The woman was allegedly distressed by the man’s behaviour and confronted him on the social networking site, which is a platform for sharing and commenting on the lives of people.
Facebook said the alleged behaviour did not violate its Community Standards and that it would investigate the matter further.
A Sydney man has appeared in court over an alleged racial slur Posted: 07:46:46The court heard that the woman was on Facebook at the time and had complained about the comments posted by the alleged offender.
She said that the man had made “racist comments” and “laughed at” the woman.
The court heard the man told the woman he was “happy to have a black friend” and that he was a “nice guy”.
Police allege the man then posted a picture of him with a black man in a wig, holding a rifle.
The Facebook post prompted a backlash online, with users criticising the man for making offensive comments.
One user wrote that the “trolls” had no place on the site and “this is the internet we live in”.
Facebook’s community standards policy states that posts that are not in compliance with our community standards are removed immediately and that if we find evidence of abuse or violation, we will take action against the poster or poster’s account.
Facebook did not provide a comment to Al Jazeera.
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported that the alleged racist comment was not deleted, despite Facebook informing the ABC that it had been alerted to it.
The man was released on bail on August 10, pending a date in the ACT Supreme Court.
He will appear in the NT Supreme Court on September 12.